How can I synchronise my email with RecruitOnline
RecruitOnline has the ability to synchronise your email inbox and sent items with contact and candidate records. The system will save the message text as a note and some attachments as documents.
This is done using the IMAP email protocol (which is supported by all major email systems).
How Does it work?
RecruitOnline needs to have your settings for IMAP server host name, port, email username and password saved to your profile. You will be able to get this information from your IT Support team.
To enter the information go to User > Preferences > Configure Email Importing
Click Save Changes and Test Connection - this should say 'Mailbox connection successful'
The system will poll your mailbox and scan for messages that it has not imported already. Once it finds a message it will search for the relevant contact's email address and failing that a candidate's email address and proceed to make a note and import any attachments.
The first time the import is run it will probably create a number of import warnings as it will attempt to import 100 sent and 100 inbox messages.
By providing any 3rd party - including RecruitOnline - with your email user name and password presents a security risk. These credentials can be used to read any messages in your mail box and send messages via your server. There are configurations that can minimise your exposure to risk which we can discuss with you. We do not share this information with anyone. The credentials are stored in plain text within your database to facilitate the log on process to your server.
We recommend using SSL based IMAP on TCP port 993.
- The server will overlook email from your domain based on your IMAP server host name.
- For example, if your IMAP server is "mail.somewhere.com" then any messages from email address "...@somewhere.com" will not be imported
- Images are not saved. This is because many companies attach images to signatures and this is not desired to save.
- If the email address appears more than once in the database then you will be sent a message advising you that the message was not imported. This is explained in further detail below.
Why won't my emails import if there is more than one person with the same email address in ROL?
The mail import requires one and only one email to import. If a person is duplicated in ROL, then a message will be sent to the user advising them to do it manually.
- Remove duplicate emails
Users can link companies so that you can email the person from any of the linked companies in ROL (see Company: Related Companies).
All emails will be attached to one record regardless of if it is for that site or not.
This feature will not change because 1) It is valid for almost all clients 2) To change it would mean duplicate messages/notes throughout the database making importing mail dysfunctional.
Enable IMAP on Gmail accounts
You may get an error message asking you to check your Gmail Access Settings which you will need to enable IMAP in the inbox settings.
Enable IMAP at Google
- In your browser, sign in to your Google/Gmail account.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner, and select Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the IMAP Access area, select Enable IMAP.
- Click the Save Changes button.